da nananana da na na ….
Not feeling me? That’s okay – I live my life in rap songs.
ANYWAY, back to ‘it’s week 4 of the one room challenge’!! We have made SO MUCH progress this week and the room is finally starting to take shape. Paint is a beautiful thing….
Last week we left off with our trim, molding, and feature wall done:
This week (as the title implies) was all about painting. The plans for the paint color had been decided pretty early regardless of gender – Molly wants to use this nursery again for the next baby and didn’t want to have to repaint. For the feature wall we went with Peppercorn by Sherwin Williams, which you may remember is the background of my built in book case from the first one room challenge. For the other three walls we chose City Loft by Sherwin Williams. It’s a new color to me but it complements the feature wall so well!
My job was to paint alllll the trim while Mr. Wright painted the feature wall. #teamwork
Of course, no one took a picture of me painting trim but trust me I was. I had paint in my hair to prove it.
I was the lucky recipient of a 3 coat paint job while the husband got away with 2. He did have a lot more edging than me so I guess it’s even. In case you’re wondering all the wood pieces in the room are pine. In retrospect it may have been better to prime the pine before painting but the coverage was great and there are no issues. For the trim paint we always go to ProClassic by Sherwin Williams in Snowbound. It’s a very thick paint but is extremely durable. And yes we painted trim BEFORE painting the other walls. The husband prefers it that way because besides the floor we don’t use painters tape – he’s a meticulous edger. Anywho…
This is literally a picture of paint drying (hence the streaks) but doesn’t it look fantastic!
The next day was ‘paint the other walls’ day and also known as Molly’s baby shower. While getting ready to go I receive a phone call from a distressed husband saying ‘did you know this new color for the walls is literally the same color that’s already on the walls’? That’s right folks – we picked an *almost* identical color. This made for a fun painting day for my husband and my laughter. On this same day the skies opened and it literally RAINED FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT. So, I have no photographic evidence of this paint job but trust me it happened.
The next task was to replace the light – something tells me the ol ‘boob’ light wasn’t going to cut it for this nursery.
As with most renovations this has been our biggest hiccup yet! Upon removal of the old light my husband discovered what can only be described as a spider of wires coming out of the ceiling – probably 15 of them. So in the spirit of not wanting to kill ourselves or our beloved friends we chose to ‘hire that crap out’.
So that’s where we are! Let’s check off the ol to-do list!
remove the carpet replace the floor install and widen new window remove the old trim replace with new craftsman style trim install a wood feature wall paint
- install craftsman wood trim to closet doors
- replace lighting
- install custom shelving
- re-paint and re-purpose dresser
- install allllll the special surprises that make this room a girl or boy nursery!
This week we’ll be adding the new trim to the closet doors and repainting/installing those. I have also been working on re-painting the dresser in my garage and with 40 degree weather this has not been ideal but hey – the weather doesn’t care about my deadlines. As for the shelves, I bought some gorgeous rustic walnut boards that we are making into 4 shelves. It’s going to be beautiful.
So, stay tuned for some more updates next week! We are getting SO CLOSE!!!!
Oh, and I even did a little photo session with the mama-to-be in between paint coats!
I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without the support of you and my sponsors for this challenge! So HUGE thank you to them! I’ve gotten some sneak peaks from my sponsors of the finished products and I CAN’T WAIT to share them!